Fascinating tales about my life on the way to and living in London

Friday, February 1, 2008

London Observations

I've noticed a few quirky things about London over the last couple of weeks. They are things I observe over and over every day. I'm sure every city has these, but here are my observations:

1. This city (of 7 million + people) has very few public trash cans! I can grab something to eat or drink and then walk around all day (not joking) without seeing somewhere to throw the wrapping or whatever. There are bus stops and tube stations and train platforms everywhere, which are common places for trash cans in the US, but none to be found here!

2. Needless to say, the city is very clean for the amount of people and the lack of trash cans. The most common piece of litter I see is Red Bull cans. No joke. And evening newspapers too, but only at the top of escalators in tube stops and only after 6 PM. Red Bull cans take the crown.

3. I am happy and surprised when I hear English spoken. London is an extremely international city and you will hear every language in the neighborhoods and shopping districts. The main place to hear English is in the City itself ("downtown" we'll call it). I have usually thought that I can recognize most languages and distinguish them, but here I cannot do that.

4. The TV is mostly American. The British TV is generally bad. Prime time dramas are filmed in a poor manor, very similarly to an old soap opera. Prime time comedies are crass and poorly scripted. I've been watching a fair amount of TV lately and I find myself hunting for cooking shows and old American movies. All American movies and current TV shows are quite easy to find, which is probably good given the quality (generally) of British TV. Oh and they LOVE game shows - mostly of the quiz/trivia variety. Those are British, not American.

5. And the best of all: So far the weather is better than I expected! It's sunny about 1/3 of the time, cloudy but not raining about 1/2 the time and raining or threatening to rain the rest, so really not that bad! And with temps in the mid 40s-mid 50s, I'm pretty comfortable being outside all day. I'm still working on that celcius to fahrenheit conversion though...

4 comments:

Michelle said...

I am thrilled to hear that you have found a place and are clearly getting adjusted! I can't wait to see pictures. Sending love and prayers from Kentucky - Michelle

Anonymous said...

The lack of bins is a result of the IRA bombings that took place back in the day. Apparently they liked to drop their bombs in bins in various stations, hence the complete lack now. You get used to carrying your trash around.

Kathy said...

Ha! Good to know. I always like to figure out "why", but I hadn't quite worked that out yet. And somehow it wasn't covered in my Brief History of London nighttime reading...

Anonymous said...

I could be making it up, but someone told me that when I lived there.

So I guess that would mean THEY were making it up.

:)