Fascinating tales about my life on the way to and living in London

Wednesday, February 6, 2008

More London Observations

Only a couple tonight because I keep forgetting the others!

6. Engagement rings/diamonds here are VERY small. Now that I have noticed this over and over, I remember reading something about in a book about British vs. American culture. I didn't think anything of it at the time. I'll have to find that book to see what they said about why this is. Perhaps it's the cost...but it's not that expensive to fly to NYC and buy a ring there! Probably cheaper than buying a smallish ring here. Anyway, they are small.

7. "Cheers" can mean a number of different things. We as Americans use it primarily in toasts, and might think of it being used in the UK as goodbye perhaps. BUT I have heard it used for the following, somewhat contradictory, things: hello, goodbye, thanks, you're welcome, enjoy (as in a restaurant setting) and as a toast. So it seems to me you can walk into a restaurant, say cheers, say cheers when your order is taken, say cheers when your water is brought (and the waiter will say cheers back to you), when your food is brought, when you pay the bill and when you walk out the door.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hee. I mostly acquaint cheers with thank you, but I'm sure you're right. It's the universal word!

Sadly - it doesn't have nearly the same affect in an American accent, though I suppose you could develop a British one just for the occasion. :)