Fascinating tales about my life on the way to and living in London

Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Paris

Another load of pictures from my 24 hour whirlwind tour of Paris!






The Eiffel Tour lights up with sparkly lights at night - it was gorgeous even from 2 streets over!




Mona Lisa hanging in her spot in the Louvre. The Louvre was a very cool place to wander around, even for someone like me who really isn't that into art. It is a beautiful building inside and out and houses some of the world's most famous art. Thankfully, we were in Paris on the night that the museum was open late, otherwise we might not have been able to fit it in!








I was amazed at how beautiful the streets and buildings in Paris are. I'm sure these are very pricy apartments, but they seem like they would be fun to live in...









I liked Paris very much. It is a beautiful city with a lot of old style character. However, it is very hard to navigate (much like London actually) and these maps usually told us nothing at all! This is within a couple hours of leaving and I was very frustrated. I'm glad Ben was with me and I didn't try to go on my own the first time!







Eiffel Tower by day. We also saw the Arc de Triomphe, the Bastille, the Marmottan Museum (where a good portion of Monet's paintings hang), ate crepes and had the most amazing meal of our entire trip. Neither of us speak any French at all, but we went into a very traditional French restaurant in an out of the way street (it was recommended in our guide book). We couldn't read the menu since it was all in French, so we asked the waiter to order us the best 2 things from each of the 3 courses on the menu. We had a fabulous meal and each item they brought was so delicious! I will definitely visit that restaurant again...



Not only are the maps difficult to understand and the streets going every which way, all of the descriptions and plaques, etc. in museums are in French ONLY! I enjoy reading about different things and maybe the background to paintings or other things, but there was none of that to be had. We had to satisfy ourselves with seeing the name, artist and perhaps a date. Just goes to show how proud the French are of their culture and language, and rightfully so!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That picture of the apartments makes me think of the apartment in the Bourne Identity where Jason throws the guy out the window. (or does the guy jump?)
Mandy

Kathy said...

The guys jumps. But that's totally right - I didn't even think of that when I was there!

Anonymous said...

I love these pictures! Oh you look like you're doing so well over there. Can't wait to visit you --in a thousand years when I win the lottery since everything is so expensive! :)

Good luck learning French! :)
Katie