Fascinating tales about my life on the way to and living in London

Monday, June 23, 2008

Vatican City

OK, if you are just coming to this blog after awhile away, settle in for a long ride! This is my eighth (count them, 8!) post about Italy. You might have to go back a page to see the very first post or two. (Hint: Rome is the first one, so work backwards from there.)

Alright, last post - Vatican City! The Vatican is its own country or principality or something, but they don't give out passport stamps. But they do have their own post office. Anyway, once again the sheer size and impressiveness of the buildings was overwhelming. I spent about 6 hours in the museums, Sistine Chapel, St. Peter's Square and St. Peter's basilica (largest church in Europe, by the way).

No pictures are allowed in the Sistine Chapel, but I sat in there for an hour, moving around to different seats to take in all of the artwork. The walls and ceiling are completely covered in paintings and it was difficult to take it all in!

When I made it out to the square, the Pope was giving his weekly blessing. In the pictures below, he is in white in the middle of the platform. After he was done, I visited the basilica and even climbed to the top of the dome to see the view from there.




1 comment:

klev said...

Holy cow! That's a lot of posts! Don't have time to read them now, but it's good to have you back safe from your trip! And I'm looking forward to getting to read about it as soon as I'm not swamped.