Fascinating tales about my life on the way to and living in London

Monday, June 23, 2008

Rome, Italy

I must admit that I've been putting off my blog for a bit because it seems so daunting to blog a 12 day trip around Italy! But as I know some people are anxiously awaiting an update, I am going to try to make a good start tonight. So here goes!

I started my Italy trip 2 weeks ago on Sunday in Rome. I left London very early and was at my hotel by noon. I set off for sightseeing right away, even braving the HEAT (well, compared to London), humidity and occasional rain shower. The first thing I saw was the Coloseum and the neighboring ruins of the ancient Forum.









The thing that I noticed almost right away in Rome was how BIG everything is. Even the normal, everday buildings are large and the roads are wide and big. This is to say nothing of the Coloseum and other ancient buildings and monuments. Everything was on such a large scale!









After I soaked up some history in the most ancient area of Rome, I wandered through the streets to find the Trevi Fountain. The legend is that if you throw a coin over your shoulder and make a wish, the wish will come true and you will return to Rome. I had to try! I also had to try my first gelato of the trip nearby. After that, I wandered back to the hotel to meet up with my tour group.


That night we had dinner and the next morning we headed down towards the Amalfi coast. But we came back to Rome at the end of the trip so I'll go ahead and show those pictures now.

When we came back, I visited the Vatican (I'll do a separate post), Spanish Steps, Trvei Fountain again (had to make another wish!) and the Pantheon.

Spanish Steps


Making a wish


Pantheon

3 comments:

The (Un)Experienced Mom said...

Hi there....I found your blog while looking through others on blogger.com and loved reading about your travels!

I am actually an American who is married to a Brit and lives in the States, and therefore, I have traveled to London many times. On our trip there almost 3 years ago, we took a mini-holiday to Rome, and like you, loved it! So much to see in such a short time. My husband actually stopped dead in his tracks inside what was like the 5th museum we had gone to, and said "I am done seeing things!" Sight-seeing overload in Rome, but you just want to soak it all in.

Thought I would say hello and that I enjoyed your blogs. Hope you don't mind me reading them, but as I am not able to travel as much as you do (but would like to), this gives me a bit of vicarious living!

Feel free to check out my blog, which I just started! ;-)

http://tamara-nowwhat.blogspot.com/

Take care!

The (Un)Experienced Mom said...

Sorry, but my blog address changed to:

http://mommy-girl.blogspot.com/

Katie Turner said...

Thanks, Kathy!! I was needing something to read this afternoon! I love catching up with your travels -- much more exciting than a life with triplet nieces/nephews and a construction blog. LOL! :)