Fascinating tales about my life on the way to and living in London

Wednesday, January 30, 2008

No One Mourns the Wicked

One good thing about London (in my opinion, anyway) is the plethora of really amazingly good theatre! I have just been to see the show Wicked, which is the prequel to the Wizard of Oz, basically. It's the story of how both Glynda and the Wicked Witch came to be and carries through the end of the story that we know as the Wizard of Oz. It was brilliantly done and so neat to be seeing a show in London! I chose a midweek matinee to cut down on crowds and I was able to scoot over in my seat to a place that was 20GBP more, but unoccupied. Only 10 rows back - a great place to watch any show!

I am in Victoria now, right across from the theatre. This is a small theatre district and there is another big one near Covent Garden/Leicester Square. All of this is collectively called the West End. Well, I might be a bit off on my definitions of areas (in case anyone's checking) but the West End is where you go for theatre. And a lady landlord who drove me around the other day showed me a small theatre in Kilburn where many big shows start before they come to the West End. A good way to get in on the beginning of something big...for a much better price!

Today I got a temporary phone and without even using it yet, I feel much more comfortable. This means I can use the computer and the phone at the same time and hopefully have some better communication with people that I'm trying to contact about rooms. If you'd like to call, get yourself an international phone card with a good rate to the UK (not sure what a good rate is...) and call 00 44 7767 052 654. Remember I am 7 hours ahead of Denver!!!

That's it for now. I'm off to do some more apartment hunting.

2 comments:

Ben, Bekah & Boys said...

Hi Kathy!

Totally understand how FRUSTRATING looking for a place can be - they all look great and are out of your price range or are DIVES and in it - what's a girl to do? :-) Thanks for the blog - great to keep up to date with you.

Best wishes!

Anonymous said...

LONDON THEATRE. So, so, sosososo good. I absolutely have to see a play when I'm there, and have managed to see Ian McKellen, Judi Dench, Maggie Smith, and Patrick Stewart all on stage. And also Sean Bean.

Yay for having a phone! Maybe someday I'll even be rich enough to use it. :)