Fascinating tales about my life on the way to and living in London

Sunday, April 6, 2008

Windsor Castle

I took Friday off and treated myself to a belated birthday trip to Windsor Castle. The castle was a really neat experience. Once again, I felt immersed in places and stories from hundreds of years ago. I was learning about things that were going on in this castle before America was even discovered by Europeans! I couldn't take pictures inside the buildings, so you'll all just have to come and see for yourself the history and lavishness that surrounds the royals of this country.

On the inside of the castle, you can tour a room that contains Princess Mary's dollhouse. The dollhouse has fully functioning electricity and plumbing! There is also a smallish art gallery with drawings and an exhibit of the royal weddings that occured from the current Queen Elizabeth II going back 100 years before that. Last year was the Queen & her husband's (King Philip? Prince Philip? See how many things I don't know and/or forget in all of these history lessons!) 60th wedding anniversary, so this exhibit celebrates that. Soon they will be changing to an exhibit celebrating Prince Charles' birthday this year (60? Yet another thing I didn't pay close attention to.)

I also toured the State apartments which are mostly refurbished or kept the way they were about 300ish year ago. These room contain the king's and queen's drawing rooms and dining rooms and also official banquet halls and receiving rooms that are still in use today for state dinners. Across the way are the queen's apartments, which of course you are not able to tour, but you can see the entrance from the quadrangle.

I arrived at the castle in time to see the changing of the guard. There was alot of pagentry involved with that, none of which I understood. But I did find it interesting that the guards guarding the queen carry scary looking semi-automatic guns and not one London policeman carries a gun. Curious...
In another part of the castle area, you can go to St. George's cathedral, which is the official church and saint of the Knights of the Garter, a very prestigious ranking given to special knights. Some of these knights actually live on the grounds of the castle and I guess they do knightly things, whatever that may be. The thing I found interesting about this part of the castle grounds was that you could definitely see how the whole castle would have been a self-sufficient city at one time. You can imagine the cobbler's shop and the butcher and the ladies' rooms and you could see where they could walk on the massive grounds around the castle.

I kept my eye out for royal sightings, most especially the princes. But I had no luck in that front, even though the queen's flag was flying from the round tower, indicating she was there that day.

The weather was perfect - the best day I've had so far! I also wandered around (and shopped!) the town of Windsor and took a short tour of Eton College, which is a posh boarding school for high school age boys. Princes Harry & William both attended there and once again the history and the stories told were fascinating. The boys were on the English equivalent of spring break (Easter holidays or mid term holidays) so the school seemed pretty empty and dead.

I'm very glad I took this trip. I got a special stamp so I can go back to the castle free for a whole year if anyone wants to go!

Inside the castle, walking up to the changing of the guard. That round tower on the right is where the flag flies showing the queen is there. If she's not there, the normal Union Jack (English flag) flies.



Some of the gardens inside the castle - beautiful! There were also extensive grounds outside the walls which had paths, wilderness-y areas and playing fields for rugby or soccer.


Some of the guards leaving during the Changing of the Guard. I bet they were glad to be going to lunch!



St. George's Cathedral, which is inside the castle walls. Again, no pictures inside, but there were some famous people's graves here (i.e. Henry VIII) and beautiful architecture as always.



Looking back at the castle from across the river.


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love reading about all of your adventures! I've read a lot of books by Phillippa Gregory - historical fiction - and it's neat to see the actual places the books talk about. I definitely want to come visit you! By then you'll be an expert!

Happy last week of busy season!

Abby Engle said...

I love reading about all of your adventures! I've read a lot of books by Phillippa Gregory - historical fiction - and it's neat to see the actual places the books talk about. I definitely want to come visit you! By then you'll be an expert!

Happy last week of busy season!

Anonymous said...

I like how smoothly words like "posh" are slipping into your vocabulary. :)

Windsor was the very first place I went in England. Even before I saw London (well, Dad and I wandered to Kensington Gardens after we took our post-airplane nap, but that was it). It will always have a special place in my heart, honking big castle that it is.

I think Philip's the Prince Consort or something like that. I know he's not the king.

Kathy said...

"Posh boarding school" is a direct quote from sarah when she made me a dessert the other day that had the word Eton in it. I didn't understand what she was calling it and so she said "Eton, the posh boarding school". So that's it. I get all my British-isms from Sarah, because she's cool like that.