Fascinating tales about my life on the way to and living in London

Sunday, April 13, 2008

Week in Review

Well, I've been sick again this week. This time with a sore throat and sore ears. But I managed to have a good time with friends this weekend. I checked out a fabulous brunch place and did some shopping. I am preparing for a trip to Barcelona and Lisbon starting on Thursday as well! Today a couple work friends are running in the London Marathon, but I decided to stay home and recuperate rather than venture out to cheer them on. I'm sure they'll understand.

The weather has been very interesting the last couple of weeks. Generally it is in the low 50s, but it rains at least once a day and often several times a day with sunny periods in between. It doesn't feel very warm, but the clear blue skies are a treat when they peek out from the clouds. The weather report doesn't give any indication of much change in the near future, so I keep my umbrella, scarf and sunglasses close by.

Last night I was able to see some Denver friends who live up in Birmingham (2 hour train ride north of London) and some other Denver friends who are in the UK visiting them. We had a good time catching up! I will hopefully be taking a weekend trip with Chad and Laurie soon. I'm also planning a long trip to Italy in June!

Oh, I don't think I told you about last weekend. After I took Friday to see Windsor Castle, Saturday was back to the normal spring dreariness we've been having. I took a walk to the east and visited Hoxton Market and a random museum called Geffrye Museum. It is a history of English interiors for the last 400 years and basically has displays and information about what a middle class living room would be like during various times and how it has changed over the years. I thought it was very interesting to see how people lived and used their homes and how those things changed so much! After that, I ventured into a Vietnamese restaurant. The pho was very good and very cheap, so it may become a favorite of mine! Saturday night was my birthday dinner combined with another girl at work whose birthday was near mine. We had a great time and it's always fun to get to know people a bit better outside of the office.
Sunday I woke up to giant snowflakes! This is only the second time it has snowed since I've been in London, but the first time it stuck. I decided it would be a good day to stay in and relax - so I did just that! I watched 2 or 3 movies and sat on the couch most of the day. I ordered in Indian food and had a great day. It's great to have some time to just relax and get ready for the week ahead.

My work load has decreased significantly as busy season comes to an end. I spent a lot of time this week tying up loose ends and doing scheduling tasks for this summer and fall. It looks like I'll be staying plenty busy this summer, but of course there will be time for vacations! I'm looking forward to officially ending busy season on Tuesday and then visiting with my friends from Denver and exploring in Spain and Portugal. That means exciting new photo posts in a couple weeks!!!

3 comments:

Donette said...

Hi Kathy - it's Donette Winterland from Calvary from way back when. My mom pointed me to your blog and it's been fun reading about your European adventures! Sounds like you are loving London.

Just wanted to pop in and say Hi!

Kathy said...

Wow, Donette - hi!

Anonymous said...

Hey girl -- love the pics and love getting updated.

I started my new job at the hospital 2 weeks ago so things are going well.

My triplet nephews and niece were born last week too -- busy busy. :)

Glad to see you're still touring and doing well. I'm getting great history lessons from reading your blogs!

Katie