Fascinating tales about my life on the way to and living in London

Sunday, March 2, 2008

Cambridge

Saturday I decided to take a day trip to Cambridge. There is a fast (45 minutes) train from London, so it was an easy trip for me. I enjoyed a beautiful, although very windy, day exploring the various colleges of Cambridge University and wandering around the little city. This is the chapel at King's College. It is famous for its boys' choir, which you can hear every night at Evensong (I didn't stay long enough to hear this). This organ was put in by Henry VIII and his second wife Anne Boleyn.





Punting on the River Cam is a favorite activity. You can hire a boat with a punter or you can punt yourself. It wasn't something I was going to attempt on my own, but watching was fun!















Cycling is the primary mode of transportation in Cambridge. I saw literally thousands of bikes parked all over the city and by the train station. It is an easy and quick way for students and residents to get around the small crowded streets. And it adds a lot of charm as well.









On the left is the outside of the chapel at King's College. Like I said before, Henry VIII had a lot to do with the completion of this chapel, which I find very interesting since I am currently reading a fictionalized account of his 1st and 2nd marriages. It is so neat to see the history on the page come to life right in front of you - that's been my favorite part of my travels so far!




On the right is Trinity College, which is the largest and wealthiest college. Behind that building is another smaller square with Wren Library on the other side. The architecture of each building of each college is so phenomonal and astounding to think how long these buildings have been around!

No comments: