Fascinating tales about my life on the way to and living in London

Friday, August 3, 2007

Life in London! (well, almost)

I thought I would join the masses and start a blog about my new life in London! No promises on how much I will post, but I will try to keep you updated over the next few months as I prepare and make plans and go through all of these crazy logistics. And then the real fun will begin as I start my life in London!

In February, I started exploring the possibility of transferring to my firm's office in London. I am a tax accountant and I do a lot of work with large corporations, not only preparing and reviewing tax returns, but also other consulting and accounting jobs. Our Deloitte London office has a US tax group, which is a perfect fit for me. They do a lot of the same things I already do, but also lay on more mergers & acquisitions work as well as provisions and international tax. Anyway, after speaking with people in the London office and gearing up the courage to speak with my boss in Denver, the process was underway! It took lots of solid arguments and persistent reasoning with my boss on my part, but finally last Thursday (5 months later!!!), he gave me the approval to choose a day to leave Denver and he would approve it. Needless to say, I did not get much work done the rest of the day. My dream had finally become reality!

Since then I have been in touch with my contact in London and she is setting up a formal interview (unfortunately, just over the phone) with 2 people in her office. Then she will check my references in Denver and begin the paperwork process. Thankfully, Deloitte has a solid process and they will take care of all of those details.

I have chosen early January 2008 as my target move date. I hope to be starting my new job by the end of January. That will mark my 3 year anniversary at Deloitte and I think it will be a great way to celebrate!

My next step is to find a place to live in London! I may or may not take a trip over this fall to check things out, but that is still up in the air.

Please keep me in your thoughts and prayers and I go into this new and exciting phase of my life!

2 comments:

klev said...

Awesome! And about time that you got one of these things...

Marjorie Vawter said...

Good job! Glad to see you've joined the blogging world. It will be fun to keep up with you through this, as well as on the phone.

Mom