Fascinating tales about my life on the way to and living in London

Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Dover Cliffs

Last weekend I once again started my day trips around the UK. Last year I was able to start doing these almost as soon as I moved here, but this year my work schedule was quite a bit different in February and March so I had to delay until April. Thankfully, the UK has impressed me once again and I am ready for more and more day trips in 2009!

I went with a work friend, Lauren, down to Dover where we explored the castle and took a hike along the cliffs. Thankfully the weather was SUNNY and pretty warm, especially since we were outdoors all day and walked about 10 miles, much of it uphill it seemed!

The castle has been there for hundreds of years, but was especially strategis in WW II due to its underground tunnels and crucial look-out points over the Channel. We toured the tunnels and wandered around the castle grounds some after we had a brief picnic lunch. We were both antsy to find the cliffs and start hiking in the open though.

After getting some interesting directions, we walked about 2 miles, mostly along a country road that wasn't quite wide enough for 2 lanes AND us, until we got to the beginning of the cliff paths. By that time, clouds had entirely covered the Channel so it was very difficult to see past the ferry docks, let alone all the way to France! But we enjoyed a good hike and took some fun pictures - which hopefully you enjoy as well!


Entrance to the underground tunnels

View of the castle from the cliffs

Me on top of the cliffs with the Channel behind me

The White Cliffs of Dover

A view down to the beaches below - the cliffs were literally bright white!

And in case you didn't believe I have a friend......this is Lauren :)

2 comments:

Randy Vawter said...

i still don't believe you have a friend. i think you talked some random person into posing with you....

Jess said...

Yay, cliffs! Went to Dover once and did the castle, but didn't have time to hike and really see the cliffs before catching our train back home. Had to make due with in-town baby cliffs. Woe.

Am glad your work load calmed down finally! it was sounding crazy over there.