Fascinating tales about my life on the way to and living in London

Friday, August 8, 2008

London!

I have been thinking the last few days about how I have a blog entitled "Life in London" but very rarely do I talk about my life in London. Since I haven't been anywhere more exciting than west London lately, I thought I'd do a post about my life here.


I've been living here for 6 months now and feel that I have adjusted pretty well. Every so often though, I am thrown for a loop by something I haven't encountered before. Often it has to do with government or bureaucracy or how to act in certain social situations. London is an incredibly diverse city so just about anyone can fit in here quickly and easily. I do still find myself a bit embarrassed of my accent at times, though at least I speak up more than I did when I first moved here.


Things I like/love about London:
  • Ability to travel in Europe easily (and relatively cheaply) - this, of course, is the reason I moved here
  • Walking through various neighborhoods and wishing the 200 year old houses that have been shops, pubs, houses, servants quarters and modern flats could talk to me
  • The diversity and acceptance that it's OK to be from somewhere different and have a different background than other people
  • The train services to the countryside

Things I dislike/hate about London:

  • I miss my car so much. I feel like I am 14 again and totally dependent on others (even though now it's the bus driver instead of my parents or older friends). Sometimes I just want to DRIVE.
  • The weather. Everything you've heard is true, except it doesn't rain EVERY day.
  • The tourists, especially Americans
  • The cost of living
  • The health system, my doctor in particular

I don't think I will ever tire of the view of St. Paul's from my seat on the top floor of a double-decker bus every night on my way home from work. And hopping a plane and being on a Greek beach within a few hours isn't too shabby either. Unfortunately, I can't call London home and I don't think I ever will. But I am glad I made the decision to live here and being here has given me experiences I never dreamed of five years ago.

1 comment:

Hollie said...

I am so glad you found our blog. Wow, it looks like you have been real busy. I am happy to see everything is going well for you in London. I will pass your blog on to Travis. Thanks for making a comment and we will keep in touch.