Fascinating tales about my life on the way to and living in London

Thursday, May 8, 2008

Bank Holiday Weekend

This past Monday was a holiday in the UK. So I made the most of my long weekend by catching up on things in London and taking two short trips. Thankfully the weather has been AMAZING since Saturday, including the whole week, so that makes everything easier.

Saturday I had an adventurous bus ride (only because it was much longer than I expected) to IKEA to get a few more things for my kitchen. I also got my hair cut and went to dinner with friends. But that's all boring stuff.

Sunday I made my way to a small town called Winchester, southwest of London. It was in my day trip book and a smaller town than I had visited before. There were a few sights to see and also some beautiful parks and hilly areas that I spent most of my day in.

Monday I went to Hampton Court Palace, which was used quite a lot by Henry VIII and also several monarchs since his time have spent considerable time and energy (and money of course) revamping everything and adding amazing gardens. The weather was so lovely, I wish I could have stayed all day! Plus the lilacs are in bloom everywhere now so it is a lovely sight and smell (when I'm not sneezing or something from all of the pollen flying around!). I came back to London in the afternoon and met up with friends to enjoy the lovely day together.
I have now been on 5 of the 25 day trips that are suggested in my book!!! Where should I go next???

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ooh. What are your daytrip options? I'm trying to think of someplace just off the top of my head, but my brain isn't working too well this morning.

Kathy said...

Oh let's see, there's a couple in London, then Brighton Oxford Stratford upon Avon York...things like that.

Randy Vawter said...

definitely oxford or stratford upon Avon. That'd be my choice.

Anonymous said...

I agree with Randy. Oxford is gorgeous, and Stratford's fun if you like Shakespeare. Brighton has an impressive palace/mansion. It's very exotic. And, of course, there's a "beach." And a pier full of cheesy arcade games!

And you have to do Stonehenge at some point, of course. :)